I wanted to get you all the details from our amazing weekend at Echo Bluff State Park. If you love being outdoors, this state park needs to be on your bucket list. It’s only 2 1/2 hours from St. Louis and is absolutely beautiful and is great for small children, family reunions, girls weekends, and for couples too. Here are the details of my trip. I’ll outline where we stayed, where to eat, and family-friendly things to do.
The Betty Lea Lodge
There are multiple accommodations for every budget and family size.
The Betty Lea Lodge has regular hotel style rooms, there are cabins with 1- 4 bedrooms, or larger stacked duplex and camping sites.
We ate at the Creekside Grill in the Lodge for breakfast and lunch. They had all the typical grill foods.
We also ate at:
- Dos Rios Mexican Grill
- Dino Mart for hand-dipped ice cream
- Country Mart catered and delivered a meal to the park pavilion
Family-Friendly Things to Do
Hiking: Painter Ridge Trail South Loop, Painter Ridge Trail North Loop, Current River Trail
Enjoy the crystal clear water at Sinking Creek in front of the Lodge. Note: Bring your water shoes, bring floats, nets water toys and buckets for the kids. You’ll find lots of critters.
Nature Playground, this playground is top notch. My boys loved climbing, sliding and running all around the beautiful landscape.
Good tips to know:
- There is little cell phone reception in the area so have a plan ahead of time.
- The Lodge has board games for use in the main lobby.
- If you want to roast s’mores let the front desk know and they will make sure the fire pit is lit.
- Beer and wine are permitted in your room or outside except for in the Lodge outside dining area.
- Ice can be purchased in the park mercantile. It’s $3.00 for 10lb bag.
Other activities in the area:
- Canoeing: Running River Canoe Rental and Carr’s Canoe Rental (Call ahead for Saturday floats)
- Current River State Park
- Montauk State Park
- Round Springs and Cave
- Alley Mill
- Big Spring
What to bring:
- Water shoes
- Water toys and floats
- Waterproof case for your phone
- S’more supplies or you can purchase in the gift shop
I promise you will not be disappointed but call in advance. They were booked months out when I made our reservation.